Areas of Expertise
- Occurrence, fate and behavior of organic and inorganic contaminants in groundwater and sediments
- Arsenic contamination of drinking water resources
- Low-cost systems for drinking water treatment
- Surface water and drinking water pollution
- Chemical, physical and biological processes determining the environmental fate of organic chemicals
- Analytical techniques for individual compound determinations of organic pollutants in natural waters and soil
- Capacity building in developing countries
Selected Current and Recent Projects
- Hydrogeochemical studies on groundwater arsenic contamination in Cambodia, China, Sumatra and Vietnam (ESTNV, REMARC)
- Geostatistical modeling of geogenic groundwater contamination (WRQ)
- Geogenic elements, in groundwater and soils in the European Union (AquaTRAIN)
- Carbon, hydrogen, and nitrogen isotope analysis to improve the assessment of aquifer contaminants
- Water Quality and Pollution Dynamics in Rivers of the Dry North and Wet South of China (Hai He river system, and Yangtze) (WAPORICH)
- Isotopic fractionation during biotic and abiotic transformation of triazine herbicides and nitroaromatics (iSoil)
Anticipated and Planned Research Activities
- Knowledge transfer and improvement of compound-specific stable isotope analysis in environmental applications
- Geochemical processes underlying sharp contrasts in natural groundwater arsenic pollution in Vietnam
- Geostatistical modeling of arsenic contamination in Asia
- Biological processes involved in arsenic removal by household sand filters
- Winkel L., Berg M., Amini M., Hug S.J., Johnson C.A. Predicting groundwater arsenic contamination in Southeast Asia from surface parameters. Nature Geoscience 2008, 536–542.
- Berg M., Luzi S., Trang P.K.T., Viet P.H., Giger W., Stüben D. Arsenic Removal from Groundwater by Household Sand Filters: Comparative Field Study, Model Calculations, and Health Benefits. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2006, 40, 5567–5573.
- Berg M., Tran H.C., Nguyen T.C., Pham H.V., Schertenleib R., Giger W. Arsenic Contamination of Groundwater and Drinking Water in Vietnam: A Human Health Threat. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2001, 35, 2621–2626.
- Berg M., Bolotin J., Hofstetter T.B. Compound-Specific Nitrogen and Carbon Isotope Analysis of Nitroaromatic Compounds in Aqueous Samples Using Solid-Phase Microextraction Coupled to GC/IRMS. Analytical Chemistry 2007, 79, 2386–2393.
- Zwank L., Berg M., Elsner M., Schmidt T.C., Schwarzenbach R.P., Haderlein S.B. New Evaluation Scheme for Two-Dimensional Isotope Analysis to Decipher Biodegradation Processes: Application to Groundwater Contamination by MTBE. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2005, 39, 1018–1029.
- Schmidt T.C., Zwank L., Elsner M., Berg M., Meckenstock R.U., Haderlein S.B. Compound-specific Stable Isotope Analysis of Organic Contaminants in Natural Environments: Critical Review of the State of the Art, Prospects, and Future Challenges. Anal. Bioanal. Chem. 2004, 378, 283–300.