As a research institute with international standing, Eawag employs people from many different countries and cultures all over the world. Two-thirds of our staff are scientists and researchers, and around 30 percent work in technical and administrative roles. It is of great importance to us at Eawag to ensure that women and men are equally represented in all areas of work, and that they experience genuine equality.
In order to implement these values, Eawag is committed to the following principles:
- Eawag actively works to tackle inequalities, in particular between women and men.
- We give active support and encouragement to women in all areas and functional levels, particularly with regard to taking on management roles.
- We strive to have a fair and equal recruitment process which attracts women as well as men.
- Eawag places great value on the respect of cultural diversity in the workplace as well as in society.
- Eawag does not tolerate any form of discrimination in the workplace.
- We do all we can to make our employees’ professional lives compatible with their home lives.
The realisation of these principles is underpinned by the following activities:
- Monitoring to ensure that the above principles are upheld, and taking on board suggestions on ways to improve.
- Promoting networking and mentoring activities, as well as opportunities for continuing professional development and education.
- Promoting a spirit of cooperation across cultural boundaries through information events and roundtable discussions.
- Working together with employees to find flexible and individually tailored solutions to enable them to find a successful balance between work and home life.
These activities are supported by Eawag’s Equal Opportunities Committee.