GEPIC is a GIS-based agroecosystem model integrating a bio-physical EPIC model (Environmental Policy Integrated Climate) with a Geographic Information System (GIS). The GEPIC model can be used to simulate the spatial and temporal dynamics of the major processes of the soil–crop–atmosphere-management system.
The model has been used to study crop production, agricultural water uses, impacts of climate change on water and agricultural systems, virtual water and water footprint, biofuel-water relations on large scales (global, national, and river basin). It can also be used in other research areas e.g. water quality, N cycle, C cycle, water and wind erosion etc.
GEPIC is a public domain program, and as such may be used
and copied free of charge for non-commercial uses. The current program is
- Liu et al. 2007a (Development of the GEPIC model) [pdf]
- Liu et al. 2007b (Application of GEPIC to China) [pdf]
- Liu J. et al. 2008 (Application of GEPIC to Sub-Saharan Africa) [pdf]
- Liu J. 2009 (Development and application of GEPIC on a global scale) [pdf]
- Program manual: GEPIC User Manual [pdf]
- Program Version 1.0 (download currently unavailable)