Surface Waters - Research and Management is a
multidisciplinary department of Eawag located in Kastanienbaum and in Dübendorf,
We focus both on processes in the aquatic environment as well as on entire systems of natural waters.
We perform basic and applied research and several projects have a problem-oriented and interdisciplinary focus, including system analysis.
Main research topics are:
- Elemental cycles in natural waters such as rivers and lakes, sediments and ice
- Physical, biogeochemical and microbial processes and their driving forces
- Anthropogenic forcing and climate change
- Aquatic ecosystem analysis and modelling
- Concepts for sustainable management of natural waters.
Our research groups combine expertise in aquatic physics, chemical sensors, cosmogenic radionuclides, geochemistry, particle analysis, molecular biology, sediments, stable isotope techniques and system modelling. Main topics