James is a software developer in the SURF department who supports a number of research groups with developing, maintaining, and updating open-source scientific software.
- Experienced at data wrangling, analysis, visualization, and prediction (Python, Matlab, R). Particular experience with environmental data from in-situ monitoring, satellites, and hydrodynamic models.
- Expertise in building custom, interactive web-based visualizations for communicating scientific data.
- Full design, development, deployment, and support of RESTful APIs (NodeJS & PHP).
- Deployment and administration of Linux web servers, with particular experience of cloud platforms (AWS, Heroku).
- Lead developer of Datalakes an open data portal for Swiss limnological data. Datalakes combines global best practices for open data (FAIR) with cutting-edge visualization, reproducibility, and accessibility.
- Core developer on the SenCast python package for processing Sentinel 2 & 3 satellite data.
- Maintainer of the Meteolakes 3D operational lake forecast
- Maintainer of the Simstrat 1D operational lake simulation
- Further development and maintenance of existing scientific software.
- Development of new software tools, e.g., for data acquisition, access to databases, data management, data visualization, and operation of numerical models
- Independent planning, execution and quality assurance of software development projects
- Support and education of scientists in complying with good practice in the development and maintenance of their own software and in publishing datasets
- Support of Eawag-wide collaboration among software developers and data scientists
- Co-ordinate hardware requirements of research teams with informatics department