Ecology of alpine and temporary streams, Population genetics of alpine insects, Disturbance ecology, Colonization dynamics, Nutrient dynamics, Fire ecology, Organic matter processing, Patch dynamics, Algal ecology. Research program in the Swiss National Park on 1) the effects of experimental flooding on streams downstream of reservoirs and 2) long-term biomonitoring of the Macun Lake Biosphere.
PD. 2002: - ETH Zürich - Pattern and process in streams: Role of habitat heterogeneity.
Ph.D. 1992: - Idaho State University - Influence of flow regime on macroinvertebrates.
M.Sc. 1986: - Idaho State University - Physical disturbance as a mechanism structuring stream benthic communities.
B.Sc. 1982: - Michigan State University - Wildlife Ecology/Zoology.
- American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS)
- Ecological Society of America (ESA)
- Society of Freshwater Science (SFS, prior as NABS)
- Societe Internationale Limnologica (SIL)
- American Society of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO)
Associate Editor since 2001: Freshwater Science (FWS, prior as JNABS)
Associate Editor since 2015: Aquatic Sciences: Research Across Boundaries