Department Environmental Chemistry
Our research is often carried out in the context of specific water pollution problems. We therefore work directly with the different social stakeholders on numerous projects.
These include various federal agencies such as FOEN and FOAG, national and international bodies such as the OECD, producers of chemical products such as the agrochemical and pharmaceutical industries, and working groups from the German Chemical Society, and the NORMAN network (network of reference laboratories for monitoring of emerging environmental pollutants). Our activities include expert consulting, training (e.g. PEAK Courses), and expert advisory support for the implementation of water protection measures.
- In close collaboration with cantonal and federal state authorities and the chemical industry a new analytical concept for the monitoring of organic contaminants in the River Rhine at the international monitoring station at Weil were developed and now applied on a daily basis
- Contribution to the working groups “Prioritization” and “Effect directed analysis” of the network of reference laboratories, research centres and related organisations for monitoring of emerging environmental substances (NORMAN) as well as member of the steering board
- Contribution to the expert committee “Transformationsprozesse” and “Non-target analysis“ of the Water Chemical Society of the German Chemical Society
- Project LRI ECO18 with Cefic (European Chemical Industry Council) on defining appropriate experimental and data evaluation strategies for testing chemical persistence at the sediment-water interface
- Proposal of a list of indicator substances to check for compliance with the newly required elimination efficiency for micropollutants in wastewater treatment (AQUA & GAS article in 2015https://www.eawag.ch/typo3/#_msocom_5)
- Consulting on compounds specific isotope analysis (CSIA) of explosives, chlorinated solvents and the assessment (bio)degradation
- Contribution to the development of the National Action Plan on Plant Protection Products that is requested by the Bundesrat
- Member of the scientific advisory boards of the NoPills InterReg project